Welcome! I love reading, and I love sharing books with other people just because it was a good read! I've loaned out and given away tons of books just because I believe the story was so good it should be shared. I have read thousands of books, from classics to sci-fi to mysteries, and even childrens' books! I'll read almost anything put in front of me, and I want to share when I find a good read, regardless of the genre!
**Feel free to send me any requests for genre types or reading orders!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Great Books to Read with Your Kids!

I love reading with my son, but we had lots of problems finding a book we could both enjoy. So, I decided that I was going to find books a little above his reading level, so he could find a love for them before he had to read these books in school, and it expands their vocabulary and interest in harder books. So these are our favorite books to read together:

1. A Wrinkle in Time (series is called the Time Quintet)
  • Its a classic, and quite hard for the child to read on their own, due to the jargon from previous years that kids may not understand, but as the main characters are kids, its easy to bond with the characters.
2. The Inkheart trilogy.
  • I watched the movie and wondered if the books were as good as the movie, so I bought the first book to see if my son liked it. It is very hard reading by themselves, and so a parent or an older child should read this with anyone under 8. But very detailed and easy to understand characters.
3. Percy Jackson and The Olympians.
  • A fun book to read together but also very difficult  for a child to read by themselves, as it is set for a young teen age group, but the lessons taught in the novels are great to share with your kid!
4. How to Train Your Dragon series.
  • If you want to "change-up" your reading so it isn't always a lesson (since that can get tiring), this is a great and very fun series to read. They aren't hard for a kid to remember the details, so you can take and leave these books to read later as you want. I use them for the days that my son won't listen and can't concentrate on anything complicated.
5. The Spiderwick Chronicles.
  • These are fun and not too complicated novels. They are colorfully written to keep a kid's attention span and since the characters are kids, the characters are easy to associate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment