Welcome! I love reading, and I love sharing books with other people just because it was a good read! I've loaned out and given away tons of books just because I believe the story was so good it should be shared. I have read thousands of books, from classics to sci-fi to mysteries, and even childrens' books! I'll read almost anything put in front of me, and I want to share when I find a good read, regardless of the genre!
**Feel free to send me any requests for genre types or reading orders!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How To Pick a Book as a Gift (Part 1):

With the Holidays looming in, we are set up for "Secret Santa," company parties, and "drawing names" with our friends, family members, and co-workers. But what do you get the person who only wants books if you just don't want to get a gift card? I thought about how I pick out a book for one of my friends or siblings, and came up with an excellent list:

1. Do you see the person reading? Ask them to talk about the book or its author. Find out what genre it is and if it is a series. Do they recommend the author/book to you? Then try to find a book that is by that author, either a singular novel or a later book in the series they are currently reading.

2. B.S. it. Yep, tell them you are buying a book for your friend or family member and ask them if there is a book they would recommend or that they know is a good book? Ask them if there is a particular one they think is amazing that may be coming out soon.

3. If those 3 ideas don't work, then try to go to their house to see their bookshelf (of course, going into a house may not work for a coworker) for recommendations, or ask them to loan you a book that they enjoyed reading. Using the title/author that they provide, you can find out what genre they make be currently reading or enjoy. Then find a book store and their most recommended novel in that genre (make sure it is not a series unless you know the specific number that the person wants, or it is the first book). This may not be the exact book that the person is looking for, but most people will read and enjoy a book (even if its an author that they have never heard of) that is within the genre that they provide you with.

4. Barring these steps, if you still cannot find a book that a person wants, just try your local bookstore and find a book seller. They can help, and refer you to all different kinds of novels. Sometimes you may not want to work this hard with the other 3 ideas (such as a co worker that you hardly know), so a good book may be recommended by the book seller that is fun/relaxing and is appropriate for the workplace, such as a book of business jokes.

With these rules in mind, I am creating a "Recommended Reads of 2011" in all major genres. I will include the recommendations from 2 major booksellers, and then my own personal recommendation in each genre. As this list will take time to complete (and would make this post MILES longer), I will post the list tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment